Scripting and Automation
Below are sample AppleScripts which can help automate the launch process.
You may, for example, create a customized job queuing system using AppleScript and Pooch based
on the code provided below.
Pooch Sample AppleScripts
(108 kB download)
Samples in AppleScript source code and compiled "droppable" script applications.
For example, you may run the Fractal demo in parallel with one drop into one of these script applications.
- Pooch droppable launch 4 script
- Pooch droppable launch 2 app
- Pooch droppable launch 4 app
- Pooch droppable 2,4,8 script
- Pooch droppable 2,4,8 app
- Pooch droppable launch 1-proc script
- Pooch droppable launch 1-proc app
Requiring Pooch v1.6 or later, the following scripts
use Pooch to distribute a single-processor executable on a cluster
different from run to run only by an integer in a file named "input".
The script has Pooch retreive the output of those executions.
A simple piece of C code that squares the integer it is given accompanies these.
You are welcome to customize and adapt these scripts to your single-processor code,
which may require additional manipulation of its input (e.g., different input files) or output
(e.g., coalescing output).
- Pooch droppable distribute script
- Pooch droppable distribute app
For further details, please see the AppleScript chapter of
the Pooch Manual.
Using Pooch with Automator is a new way use and automate a cluster.
Custom behaviors are possible with code like that provided below.
Pooch Automator Actions
(56 kB download)
Four Automator actions:
- LaunchViaPooch launches an executable and files onto a cluster using Pooch
- GetNodesViaPooch retrieves node data of the cluster using Pooch
- DistributeTasksViaPooch automatically distributes an executable and files over a range of integer cases onto a cluster using Pooch
- LaunchSingleTaskViaPooch launches a single instance of an executable and files onto a cluster using Pooch
For example, you may have a workflow run the Fresnel Explorer in parallel.
The basic operation of these actions are based on running AppleScript that communicates with Pooch.
We provide the source code to these actions here:
Source code of Pooch Automator Actions
(128 kB download)
Xcode projects and source code files for the above Automator actions that utilize Pooch.
You're welcome to adapt this AppleScript code to suit your needs.
Requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later and Pooch v1.6.5 or later.
Check back for updates!
You may use the above code at your own risk.
The AppleScript code above should serve many purposes as is, but it is not a panacea.
Therefore, please do go ahead and modify the source as you see fit for your particular situation,
or use pieces of them to create new tools and capabilities (e.g., a custom queuing system
in AppleScript and/or Unix).
If your additions could benefit the community, please supply them so that others
You may also contribute via the
parallel-mac-list Mailing List.
The code here will be updated over time.